Recent Academic Publications
-  Investigating Error Injection to Enhance the Effectiveness of Mobile Text Entry Studies of Error Behaviour, arXiv:2003.06318 [cs.HC]
-  Mobile Text Entry Behaviour in Lab and In-the-Wild studies: Is it different?, arXiv:2003.06323 [cs.HC]
-  Predicting retail business success using urban social data mining, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments
-  IoT Integration in the Manufacturing Environment Towards Industry 4.0 Applications, 18th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics
-  Intelligent Journey Planning with Multi-hop Scheduling Optimisation for the Yachting Sector, ERCIM News
-  Challenges in Mobile Text Entry using Virtual Keyboards for Low-Vision Users, 19th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM 2020)
-  Ranking Online User Reviews for Tourism Based on Usefulness, PCI '20: ACM Panhellenic Conference on Informatics
-  Where am I? Predicting user location semantics from engagement with smartphone notifications, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing
-  Joint Proceeding of the Poster and Workshop Sessions of AmI-2019, the 2019 European Conference on Ambient Intelligence, 2019 European Conference on Ambient Intelligence
-  Pro-social Behaviour in Crowdsourcing Systems: Experiences from a field deployment for beach monitoring, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies
I gave a presentation on core User-Centered Design processes and challenges for modern text entry methods, in the context of the local round for the EESTEC Global Challenge 2020, taking place at the University of Patras.
The slides are here (Greek only).
On May 2020, I gave a seminar on the subject of intelligent mobile notification handling, to students of the "Data Driven Computing and Decision-Making" M.Sc. programme at CEID. The seminar slides can be downloaded here (in Greek only).
We have released a rich dataset containing 229,792 logged notifications received on the Android devices of 44 users, in the period between 2018-12-19 and 2019-05-03. The dataset accompanies our publication Komninos, A., Simou I., Frengkou E., & Garofalakis J. (2019). Discovering User Location Semantics using Mobile Notification Handling Behaviour. 15th European Conference on Ambient Intelligence (AmI'19). Rome, Italy, Springer. DOI:10.1007/978-3-030-34255-5_15
A research paper presented by my collaborator Georgios Georgiadis, of the Division of Telematics and Applications for Regional Development at the "Diophantos" Computer Technology Institute and Press, was nominated for the best paper award, at the Workshop on Data Science and IoT (http://isdit.dieei.unict.it/) organised by the University of Catania (Italy).